Friday, April 27, 2012

The First Step (Cut Off Unhealthy)...

Today, I decided to go into the nearest Great Clips I could find so that someone could cut off my dead ends. I knew that I would have to get my hair cut, but not to the extent of "nearly" shoulder length hair. My stylist, Derica, ended up to be a very nice lady who listened to me blabber on and on about my hair, and my decision on going natural. Instead of the normal response of "Why" "You're hair is SO pretty though..." or "It's gonna be hard work", she actually encouraged me and gave me some tips on helping my transition process to go a little smoother. After washing, blow drying, and flat ironing my hair, Derica finally pulled a strand of my hair to show how much unhealthy hair I had accumulated on the ends. At first I was shocked, and a little speechless, but I eventually told her that my intention was to come in here and to do what needed to be done. She continued to encourage me, saying that everything would be okay, and that after she cut it my hair would feel and look so much healthier. 
When I felt my hair get a little lighter and started listening to the sound of scissors cutting chunks of my hair, I suddenly turned red and almost felt like crying. Yet, I kept my composure and tried to keep telling myself that I had to do this so that my hair would be healthy again. Derica was finished after about 10 minutes and could see the concern on my face and once again encouraged me that mu hair looked so much better and even than before. As I looked into the mirror I couldn't help but LOVE what I saw looking back. Although she had cut about 2 1/2 inches of hair, for the first time in a LONG time my hair looked somewhat healthier and thicker. I won't lie and say that I was crazy about the length, because my hair hasn't been this short since elementary school. But I will say that I did come to terms with my hair being exactly what I wanted it to be - even, thicker feeling/looking, and all the dead ends cut off. 
Now that I've started the first step to transitioning my relaxed hair to natural, I can only look forward to the long but rewarding future my hair has.

No comments:

Post a Comment